Skip to main content

WWW Wednesday 6/8/22

Welcome to WWW Wednesday! This is a meme hosted by Sam of Taking on a World of Words. A fun midweek check-in where you answer three questions:

  • What are you currently reading?
  • What did you recently finish reading? 
  • What do you think you'll read next?

Currently,  I am reading Hide by Kiersten White, an adult hide and seek with a lot at stake. 

Unlike normal I am just reading the one since I have been a little slow to find something that I am interested in. 

Recently I finished Death and the Conjuror by Tom Mead, this was an eARC I received from NetGalley. It is a locked room mystery and the 'amateur' sleuth is a semi retired magician which I thought was fun! A full review will come closer to the release date. 

All Systems Red by Martha Wells, this is a super fun, sci fi novella that had been recommended to me and I loved it. I ended up reading it in about 2-2.5 hours this past weekend and just about screamed when I finished it, I enjoyed it so much. 

I did decide to DNF The Lighthouse Witches by C.J. Cooke. I just really struggled with getting into this one for no other reason that I just couldn't focus. It may be one that I try to read at a later date but for now it goes into the DNF pile. 

Hopefully I'll be able to make a dent in the tbr pile I have at home. I decided to take a lot of books in hopes that a few would stick and it's gotten a little out of hand. Perks of being a librarian I don't get late fines. 

And that is all for this week! What are you reading? Any recommendations? 

~A.G.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WWW Wednesday 6/22/22

  Welcome to WWW Wednesday! This is a meme hosted by Sam of  Taking on a World of Words . A fun midweek check-in where you answer three questions: What are you currently reading? What did you recently finish reading?  What do you think you'll read next? Currently I am reading,  Ace  by Angela Chen. A book that I have had for about a year and am rereading it and finishing it. I am annotating it and having a lot of fun so far.  Also I picked up To Sleep in a Sea of Stars  by Christopher Paolini at the library earlier, but haven't started it just yet.  I missed last weeks WWW Wednesday post so I am combining last weeks and this weeks. It been a bit of a slow time for me. I have been reading more fic and such online than traditionally printed material. Also I have been struggling to find something that actually interests me. I have been getting bored rather quickly.  Recently, I finished Gamer + Cat  Vol. 1. It's a super cute slice of life and one I will definitely be looking o

Certain Dark Things - Silvia Moreno-Garcia

5/5 ⭐ A fresh take on the old classic, Silvia Moreno-Garcia manages to reimagine vampire lore into something completely unique. Take whatever previous notions you have of vampire stories and toss them out the window. She managed to introduce such an interesting take on vampires, ones that take on aspects from their cultures like Alt with ties to Aztec mythology and so on.  All of these subspecies of vampire builds on the richness of the world Moreno-Garcia created. Alt flees to Mexico City, a closed nation free from any vampire after her family is killed by a rival gang of Necro vampires(a deadly European subspecies of vampires). With only Cualli, her loyal and deadly dog, and a garbage boy named Domingo helping her, she has to flee both the Necros and human gangs who wish her dead.  Vampire gangs are definitely a new one for me. The characters come to life on the page within the excellent worldbuilding. You just get lost in the story, captivated until the very end.  The diversity of t

Delilah Green Doesn't Care - Ashley Herring Blake

5/5 ⭐ This queer rom-com with its surprisingly on-point introspection on what a healthy relationship looks like and well-developed characters will leave readers' hearts a little more full than before. And swooning for their own Delilah Green. I loved this queer romance, it’s one of the most well-written ones I have read so far. The characters were so well developed, the usual tropes and aspects I am used to seeing in romance novels were not there at all or written so well that I couldn’t be annoyed they were used at all. Blake gives us two women both at very different points in their lives but both struggling with coming to terms with events from their pasts. I will say that for a romance it was quite emotional on all fronts. Familial, friendships, and romantically. But I think it just enriched the story and made it more relatable to the readers. It was well balanced throughout. All in all, a solid, well-developed queer romance that I recommend to anyone looking for something fresh